[MathSoc Council] Breadth & Depth Requirements

Sean Hunt scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Feb 11 17:56:42 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:14, S. McKee <scmckee at i-zoom.net> wrote:
> Admittedly you could make that argument about almost any other set of
> requirements in the CS degree. I know that I and many other CS majors did
> not like taking stats and combinatorics thus filling up the lectures with
> those who did not want to be there.
>
> I personally feel that that the breadth requirement should stay, computer
> science is one of those disciplines that can be applied to almost any other
> field. Forcing students to open their eyes to a bunch of other fields is A
> Good Thing as it helps prevent academic tunnel vision. Plus I am sure that
> by forcing people to take courses they otherwise wouldn't a non-trivial
> number of students have taken up a field of study with their cs degree they
> otherwise would not have.
>
> Besides, as stated by Sean, there is an exemption for people who take
> minors. Perhaps the entire process needs to be made more flexible? Maybe if
> people go 5+ courses deep into a subject their breadth requirements can
> change to reflect their deeper interest in a particular subject?
>
> -Scott

Potentially. The big issue with the breadth requirement as it
currently exists is that you are required to do breadth unless you go
so deep (now 8 courses deep in most of the school) that you get a
minor, you are subject to the requirements. If you go 7 courses into a
subject, you're expected to fulfill the breadth requirements, but if
you go to that 8th requirement, suddenly breadth goes away. In other
words, you have to satisfy breadth, unless you try really hard not to
get a broad education.

Sean