[MathSoc Council] Motions to be added to next council meeting

Elizabeth McFaul elizabethmcfaul2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 16:47:31 EDT 2013

There's a good reason we don't force the President to start an election on
the first day. The first week is crazy, and trying to run nominations in it
can be challenging for a new exec team. There have also been cases where we
start a nomination process in the end of the previous term and runs through
the first couple of weeks. I agree with the idea of getting new councillors
early, but the gain is often only a single meeting (the budget meeting). An
alternative option would be choosing the CRO the term before, if the
timeline is essential.

On the Schulze STV side, I don't think we should change it. Part of the
uniqueness of math is that we are using the most? mathematically correct
system, and we do a full explanation of the results. Anyone can scrutinize
it if they have an understanding of graph theory. There are also open
source implementations that we can use to run it. On the Feds side, I'm
recommending a shift to BC STV only because Schulze is a huge change, and
there are additional IT challenges. Changing to a new system wouldn't solve
the succession problem either, since its the voting system that requires
training not the calculations portion.

We haven't had any complaints about it. Changing this seems like a waste of
time (and resources).