[MathSoc Council] Motions to be added to next council meeting

Febrian Sidharta febrian914 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 17:09:05 EDT 2013

The problem with selecting CRO the term before or running part of
nomination period from the term before is that many of our students are in
co-op. So for those who are away from campus the term before, nomination
period is effectively the first few weeks of class.
I dont disagree with the idea of selecting CRO early, but it also
disadvantages students who are away from campus the term before.

As part of election committee for 3 terms, i have not been able to
understand the process completely. Not all of our students understand graph
theory and thus only select people can make sure the process is done
properly.

There is an open source implementation for it, but i dont like the idea
that there is a probability that the scrutineers dont understand the
process themselves and rely completely on computers to do it, as they cant
check if there is a mistake.

I wanted to propose this change since the beginning of the term, if not
earlier, supported even more when i tried to do the entire Schulze method
without using the program; not because it was proposed in Feds. (Though i
found out about BC STV and decided to use it from discussion after that
meeting).

If the reason why we shouldnt discuss this change is because there is no
complaint about it, then consider this motions as complain from me in my
role as CRO.

>From what i understand, the only change necessary is that voters cannot
give same ranking to more than one candidates and that they are not
required to rank all candidates.

The counting process need to be done, either with Schulze or with BC STV.

Febrian Sidharta
On 2013-10-10 4:48 PM, "Elizabeth McFaul" <elizabethmcfaul2 at gmail.com>