[MathSoc Council] Exact Word of Motions for Elections Policy Change

Sean Hunt scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 16 12:59:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Darcy Alemany <dtaleman at uwaterloo.ca>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Sean Hunt <scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>wrote:
>
>> However, I do have one particular concern. One of the design goals of the
>> current system was to never produce a result where two different people won
>> for different terms, as can happen with this proposed system:
>>
>> I'll be on the mailing list all day in case anyone has other questions.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> I have one. This statement confuses me. Are we saying that according to
> Mathsoc elections policy a candidate who runs against an opponent who is
> available for more terms than them cannot win?
>
> Darcy

No. It means the following where there is only one winner: If candidates X
and Y are both running for two different terms, then X can't win one and Y
win the other.

If there are multiple winners, then it's done by winning sets of
candidates, not individuals. For instance, if there are four candidates A,
B, C, D, and two seats, then we could still have:

A is running in term 1
B and C are running in terms 1 and 2
D is running in term 2

A and C win term 1
B and D win term 2

because both {A, C} and {B, D} are preferred to {B, C}.

clear as mud?