[MathSoc Council] Exact Word of Motions for Elections Policy Change

Febrian Sidharta febrian914 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:38:27 EDT 2013

Darcy, I assumed what Sean said is that, in the system that currently we
have, there is no way someone who beat someone else (say, B is more
preferred than C in the overall ballot (without discarding A that is not
eligible for Spring and Fall), then B will always be ranked higher than C
in any of the 3 terms.

While the proposed system can have a scenario where even if B
more preferred than C overally, but C wins in Winter while B wins in Spring
and Fall.
 On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Darcy Alemany <dtaleman at uwaterloo.ca>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Sean Hunt <scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>wrote:
>
>> However, I do have one particular concern. One of the design goals of the
>> current system was to never produce a result where two different people won
>> for different terms, as can happen with this proposed system:
>>
>> I'll be on the mailing list all day in case anyone has other questions.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> I have one. This statement confuses me. Are we saying that according to
> Mathsoc elections policy a candidate who runs against an opponent who is
> available for more terms than them cannot win?
>
> Darcy

No. It means the following where there is only one winner: If candidates X
and Y are both running for two different terms, then X can't win one and Y
win the other.

If there are multiple winners, then it's done by winning sets of
candidates, not individuals. For instance, if there are four candidates A,
B, C, D, and two seats, then we could still have:

A is running in term 1
B and C are running in terms 1 and 2
D is running in term 2

A and C win term 1
B and D win term 2

because both {A, C} and {B, D} are preferred to {B, C}.

clear as mud?