[MathSoc Council] Exact Word of Motions for Elections Policy Change

Sean Hunt scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 16 13:40:36 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Febrian Sidharta <febrian914 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Darcy, I assumed what Sean said is that, in the system that currently we
> have, there is no way someone who beat someone else (say, B is more
> preferred than C in the overall ballot (without discarding A that is not
> eligible for Spring and Fall), then B will always be ranked higher than C
> in any of the 3 terms.
>
> While the proposed system can have a scenario where even if B
> more preferred than C overally, but C wins in Winter while B wins in Spring
> and Fall.

Arrow's Theorem guarantees that we can't define what it means to prefer B
over C "overall" in a nice way, so any voting system is at best a fuzzy
guess. But it doesn't make sense to have two contradictory results: either
B should be preferred over C, or C should be preferred over B, but not both.

Sean